Seattle-Area Man Arrested in Mailing 'Potential Destructive' Packages to DC Installations

Adjust Comment Print

Another Army spokesman confirmed a suspicious package incident at Fort Belvoir and said that package has been rendered safe.

Federal officials sad they did not believe the packages were sent by Mark Anthony Conditt, the suspect in the Austin, Texas, bombings who killed himself after a weeks-long bombing spree in March that killed two people and wounded five, NBC News reported.

At least two DC-area military facilities were sent suspicious packages, one confirmed to contain explosive material, the Army said on Monday. An X-ray reportedly indicated a "suspected GPS" and an "expedient fuse" were attached. It was rendered safe and the building was cleared about 1:15 p.m.

Among the locations where packages were recovered: the Central Intelligence Agency in Langley, Va.; Fort Belvoir, Va.; Fort Lesley J. McNair in Washington; Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling in Washington; and Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren, Va.

More news: Ricciardo: 'We are really close to Ferrari'
More news: More wet weather on the way… This time its rain
More news:, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) Holdings Boosted by Apriem Advisors

Williams said "It's obvious they were on to this person quite quickly", adding that authorities had some indication of their suspicions Monday evening.

"The FBI takes all suspicious packages seriously and has been coordinating with our local, state and federal partners on established protocols of how to handle suspicious packages", the statement said. No injuries have been reported. Court documents are expected to give insight into how many packages were mailed and whether or not the devices were actually explosive.

"We are tracking the delivery of suspicious packages to multiple military installations in the National Capital Region", said a spokeswoman for the Department of Defense. Law enforcement officials asked not to be identified discussing the case because the investigation continues. Some included letters that one official described as disturbed and rambling. This incident is now under investigation and we refer all queries to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, ' Defense Department spokeswoman Lt. Col. Michelle Baldanza said to CNN.