Parents Warned: Teen 'Condom Challenge' Is Not Safe

Adjust Comment Print

The biggest health risk the challenge poses, experts say, is that it's a choking hazard.

The challenge, an old one which has recently made a reappearance on platforms like YouTube and Facebook, requires the person to snort a condom into his nose and pull it out from his mouth.

But over the past five years, USA poison control centers have received only one report of a condom inhalation.

"Because these days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers", Stephen Enriquez, a state education specialist, told KPMH.

First we had Tide Pods, and now, we have the condom challenge.

More news: Netflix orders King Arthur reimagining series Cursed
More news: South Korea pop stars to perform in rare North Korea concert
More news: Lukaku And Sanchez Score As Man Utd Defeat Swansea

Forbes cites two cases reviewed in medical journals in which women accidentally swallowed condoms, developing ailments ranging from pneumonia to appendicitis. It's called, of course, the condom challenge.

The "Snorting Condom Challenge" has teens placing unwrapped condoms up their nostrils and inhaling them until the condom comes out of their mouth. Bruce Y. Lee, a contributor to Forbes and Associate Professor of International Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, explains that the only thing that should go up your nose is air - and the occasional medicine. It's best to use condoms as they were intended: for safe, consensual sex. On YouTube, of course, where people began uploading videos of themselves taking part in the so-called "condom snorting challenge" in 2013 (not to be confused with the not-nearly-as-gross "condom challenge", which involved dropping water-filled condoms on other people's heads). Eventually YouTube started flagging videos that showed up regarding the challenge.

One woman accidentally inhaled a condom into her lungs, leading one to collapse because the condom was blocking the airway, the Post reported.

He also said the condoms could cause allergic reactions and result in infections.

Comments