Saint Are recovering well after Grand National fall

Adjust Comment Print

Gordon Elliott enjoyed a real Summerhill welcome home this afternoon when he brought his Aintree Grand National victor Tiger Roll to the village.

Davy Russell, who triumphed in the National on Tiger Roll in his 14th attempt at the race, had five rides at Tramore on the south-east coast of Ireland on Sunday.

The 10-year-old victor is owned by Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary and trained by Gordon Elliott.

After the race, Russell paid tribute to close friend Pat Smullen, a multiple champion Flat jockey, who was diagnosed with a tumour last month.

Looking back on the race itself, he said of the Davy Russell-ridden victor: "Two hundred yards out I thought we were home and hosed and we were going to hose up". "He's tough as nails".

"She was a marvellous woman", said Russell. She got me out of bed at 6am to drive me around the country. "I won the National a thousand times".

Screens were put up around Saint Are in front of one of the Aintree fences during the big race today.

"I threw the toys out of the pram and was effing and blinding but he of course has been proved right".

More news: Milos Forman, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' director, dies at 86
More news: Kovač to replace Heynckes as Bayern boss next season
More news: Five athletes reported missing at Commonwealth Games

Gordon Elliott was still pinching himself the morning after claiming his second Randox Health Grand National.

"When we parted, he could have easily gone in a huff, given up", said O'Leary. "He is extraordinary but he has a master trainer in Gordon".

A native of Summerhill, Elliott's pride and joy paraded down the main street surrounded by a couple of hundred people, in company with stablemates Bless The Wings, who was third, and General Principle, who landed the Irish Grand National on Easter Monday.

"He was incredible wasn't he", Frost said, per At The Races.

Willie Mullins, who saddled the 25/1 runner-up Pleasant Company, said: "We were delighted with him - he jumped from fence to fence, and while it looked like he got a bit exhausted going to the second-last fence he got his second wind and ran on again". Both the trainer and owner had doubts about the horse jumping the fences, but he duly did it and stayed on to get to the line by the narrowest margin.

Ms Unwin said the weather was disappointing but added: "We're going to get over that, I'm sure".

"It's known we've had our ups and our downs, but he has always come back better than ever".