Atlantic hurricane season starts with forecast of frequent storms

Adjust Comment Print

The storm Alberto caused flooding death back in the United States this week, but no hurricane is expected in the coming days.

Residents in hurricane-prone areas like the Cape Fear region make the individual decisions that help shape a storm's impact, and, with the influx of newcomers in recent years, nobody knows how tens of thousands of people will react to a major storm.

The consensus among these agencies is for there to be about 12 to 14 named storms.

The forecast from CSU is driven by two main factors: the state of the El Nino Southern Oscillation (where El Nino and La Nina are derived from) and the sea surface temperature anomaly.

According to NOAA, forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a fairly normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below-average season. This leads to slightly more favorable storms in the Atlantic hurricane basin. El Niño, which is another name for warmer-than-average water in the tropical Pacific Ocean, creates strong wind over the tropical Atlantic.

Climate scientists agree: hurricanes are changing for the worse - becoming windier, wetter, and more powerful than ever.

Hurricane season officially starts today and runs until November 30, though storms, like last weeks Suptropical Storm Alberto, can form outside the formal season. "It takes only one storm near you to make this an active season", said meteorologist Michael Bell, also of Colorado State.

This array of data supplies the information for complex computer modeling and human expertise, which are the basis for the center's storm track and intensity forecasts that extend out five days. Hurricane season does not end until after Thanksgiving.

Hurricane preparedness tips, compiled into our 2018 Hurricane Guide, may also be found on this website.

More news: 'Rajoy dethroned: new era ahead for Spain and Catalonia'
More news: Ahead of Ross visit, US group calls on China to open markets
More news: Dough-not miss these sweet deals for National Doughnut Day

Take that advice seriously as you look to prepare for what's ahead.

Destroyed: Men walk damaged trees after the passage of Hurricane Maria, in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on September 20, 2017.

Statewide, the storm took 84 lives.

- Stay away from windows, skylights and glass doors.

HURRICANE WATCHmeans a hurricane may occur within the next 48 hours.

- Listen to local officials.

If you are heading for a shelter, it's important to have a kit with essential supplies so that you aren't relying on what is available at the shelter. Keep in mind to include necessities for children, parents, individuals with disabilities and pets.

The delays mean that as Florida enters another hurricane season, numerous state's long-term care facilities either don't have equipment installed and operational or haven't undergone a state inspection. Ready.gov has various checklists for what to do to prepare for a hurricane at different times.

Comments