The White House permitted Annapolis mayor Gavin Buckley to lower US flags on federal buildings to half-staff Tuesday in remembrance of the mass shooting at The Capital last week after Buckley said it denied his initial request. The mayor of Annapolis had made a personal appeal to the White House over the weekend, which was rejected Monday, according to a spokesperson for Mayor Gavin Buckley. This was an attack on the press.
The flag is flown at half-staff on federal buildings by presidential proclamation as a sign of respect after the deaths of public officials or noteworthy figures and after some mass shootings. Sanders says the proclamation will be going out shortly.
Trump issued a proclamation Tuesday ordering the flags to half-staff through sundown.
"Americans across the country are united in calling upon God to be with the victims and to bring aid and comfort to their families and friends".More news: Saudi king agrees to ramp up oil production, Trump says
More news: GM says US import tariffs could mean 'smaller' company, fewer jobs
More news: European Council agrees on voluntary solutions on migration
President Donald Trump's press secretary, Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, called Buckley Tuesday morning to inform him of the decision. It was an attack on freedom of speech.
A message left with Buckley's office Tuesday morning after the lowering of the flags was not immediately returned.
In response to the shooting, Malloy said last week that he stood in solidarity with "every journalist who fights day in and day out for the truth and for accountability of those in power". More recently, it flew at half-staff after 10 people were killed at a high school in Santa Fe, Texas.
The delay nearly exactly mirrored Trump's own criticism of President Barack Obama for waiting five days to sign a proclamation to honor victims of the Chattanooga recruiting center shootings in 2015.