White House casts blame on China for North Korea challenges

Adjust Comment Print

The statement comes a day after the US defense secretary hinted that the drills could resume.

In a White House statement sent through a series of tweets yesterday, Mr Trump said he felt that Kim Jong-un's regime was "under tremendous pressure from China because of our major trade disputes with the Chinese Government".

"It would be an overstatement to say that the United States is trying to break apart the South-North relations, but it is a message that it is not comfortable with the current situation, knowing that the North has been reportedly violating sanctions", the Seoul-based expert added.

The US president goes on to insist his personal relationship with Kim Jong-un remained "a very good and warm one" and that hence there was no reason to restart the "war games" with the South.

South Korea scrambled more than ten fighter jets on Wednesday after a Chinese military aircraft trespassed into the Korean Air Defense Identification Zone, or KADIZ, according to Seoul. The exercises were postponed past year until April after the completion of the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in South Korea.

But in the next sentence, Trump contradicted his Defence Secretary James Mattis, who had threatened to resume joint military drills between the USA and South Korea as talks with North Korea stalled. "We have no plans at this time to suspend any more exercises". President Trump cancelled Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's planned trip to North Korea last week, citing the lack of progress in the goal of denuclearization.

A month before his death in 1994, Kim's grandfather and founding leader of North Korea, Kim Il Sung, said a railway connecting two Koreas, China and Russian Federation could generate North Korea $1.5 billion annually from transporting commodities.

South Korean Army K1A1 and U.S. Army M1A2 tanks fire live rounds during a U.S. Weeks before the games, the USA had held the wing-level exercise Beverly Herd - which officials at the time characterized as "non-major" - with counterparts at Osan Air Base.

More news: John McCain, 'maverick' senator, dead at 81 - Hawaii News Now
More news: Sacha Baron Cohen's Interview with OJ Simpson: Nothing but Cringeworthy
More news: HRC President Issues Statement on the Passing of Sen. John McCain

Moon's plan was cast into doubt after U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday abruptly cancelled Pompeo's trip.

But beyond returning the apparent remains of about 55 USA troops missing since the Korean War, and its continuing suspension in its missile and nuclear tests, there has been little movement from the North.

'The Department of Defense suspended three individual military exercises in order to provide space for our diplomats to negotiate the verifiable, irreversible and complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, ' Mattis said in a statement.

When Pompeo visited Pyongyang last month, North Korea accused him of making a "unilateral and gangsterlike demand for denuclearization".

Speaking to reporters after a meeting with his Indonesian counterpart, .

A recently published report suggests North Korea is set to hold a blockchain-related conference in the beginning of October, in a move that experts believe is being made to "show off" technological capabilities. He said that the tone of the letter was "if you're not willing to give something, then don't come".

United States intelligence and defense officials have repeatedly expressed deep doubts that Pyongyang is serious about denuclearization. They now worry that Pyongyang may concentrate on trying to cut a separate deal with South Korea and in doing so driving a wedge between the U.S.

Comments