Homeless man will receive all of the money from GoFundMe Page

Adjust Comment Print

A judge gave McClure and D'Amico until September 3 to hand over the remaining funds, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Here's what's happening with this very sad, very 2018 story.

The couple is being sued by Johnny Bobbitt, who spent his last $20 to get gas for the woman, who was stranded on the highway a year ago. While McClure waited inside her auto, Bobbitt, who told her the area is unsafe and to lock her doors, walked to a nearby gas station, bought a red gas can and filled it with gas. "He walked up and he said, 'Get back in the auto". He told me to get back in the vehicle and lock the doors.

McClure couldn't believe what happened next. The lady fulfilled all the promises which she made to the homeless man Bobbitt to buy him a home and a vehicle. He even filled her vehicle up.

GoFundMe, the site used to raise the money, has made a commitment to see that homeless veteran John Bobbitt Jr. gets all of the $402,000 raised a year ago to help him.

The couple's home in Bordentown, New Jersey was raided on Thursday, and video footage showed a black BMW auto being towed away from the property.

Badway did not account for the rest but told the judge that they are now preparing the accounting that will "show where the money went".

Chris Fallon, Bobbitt's attorney, also didn't immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment. D'Amico told the newspaper he had indeed used $US500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings. The couple deny the claims.

There are conflicting reports from the couple and Bobbitt about how the money was used and whether Bobbitt was a participant or a victim.

In a second text provided by Fallon to the court, D'Amico allegedly told Bobbitt: "Defending ourselves makes it impossible not to bad mouth you ... I said, 'You were also given very little money when you were living in a trailer in her driveway".

More news: Spain coach imposes cell phone ban on players
More news: China's richest man Jack Ma will retire on Monday
More news: IPhone XC could be the name of Apple’s new entry level handset

"I don't think so", Dow said. Giving the money to someone addicted to drugs, he said, would be like "giving him a loaded gun". Bobbitt was homeless and that $20 was, so the tale goes, his last.

More than 14,000 donors stepped up, contributing more than $400,000 for Bobbitt after his story of helping the stranded South Jersey motorist in November went viral.

Last week, a judge ordered McClure and D'Amico to hand over any remaining money to Bobbitt. Such a person investigates what would be in the best interests for a minor child or an incapacitated adult who can not represent his or her own interests.

A judge ruled Wednesday that McClure and D'Amico, who say the money is now completely gone, must testify in court as to how they spent the funds raised in Bobbitt's name.

Officials with GoFundMe and Bobbitt's lawyer said Thursday that Bobbitt will get all the money donated to him.

McClure and D'Amico are scheduled to answer questions under oath on Monday for depositions at their attorney's office.

The couple's attorney, Ernest Badway, did not return calls seeking comment on the police investigation. McClure was inside the house and D'Amico was on the porch, pacing and talking on his phone.

The total amount raised would have been $360,000 after GoFundMe's fees. "GoFundMe's goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets [the] support he deserves", Whithorne told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "We'll continue to assist with the ongoing law enforcement investigation".

Comments