Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

Adjust Comment Print

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is testing the surf resort where Stabile ingested the amoeba, and the water park is voluntarily closed until the CDC's investigation is complete, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

Stabile noticed something was wrong September 16 while mowing the lawn when a painful headache forced him to lie down.

The Waco Tribune-Herald released a story about a case of brain-eating amoeba that claimed the life of someone after they have gone to the BSR Surf Resort.

Known to family and friends as "Fab", his love for the outdoors led Stabile to work for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Bass Pro Shops, his obituary read.

Doctors at the Atlantic City Medical Center were unable to save Stabile, who died September 21. It's unclear if the park remained closed Sunday morning and the CDC did not immediately respond to a call seeking information on whether others who visited could have Naegleria fowleri. The CDC notes that the disease usually causes death within about five days of the start of symptoms. The infection is also extremely deadly, with a fatality rate exceeding 97 percent, the CDC says. He later died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis caused by the amoeba.

More news: Years Ago, Brett Kavanaugh Drafted Tough Questions For Bill Clinton
More news: Tottenham v Barcelona: Harry Kane eyes Lionel Messi's scoring records
More news: Google Pixel 3 XL presented in three colors

Stabile's family have launched a GoFundMe for the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, in hopes of educating more people about the infection.

Between 1962 and 2017, there have been 143 known infected individuals reported in the United States - 139 have died, and four have survived.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died Friday from Naegleria fowleri, a bacteria-eating amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater and soil and that's only affected 34 people over the past decade. Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, followed by a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations.

'We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

Comments