Trump says he wants Turkey's Khashoggi recording 'if it exists'

Adjust Comment Print

Mr Trump said he expected a report from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who has just been to Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

Two weeks after The Washington Post contributor disappeared at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, titans of finance and industry, as well as major media groups, have withdrawn from next week's Future Investment Initiative organized by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund.

Khashoggi went missing on October 2 after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

"No, not at all, I just want to find out what's happening", Trump said.

Under tremendous pressure from his own lawmakers and influential opinion makers in the USA to take action against Saudi Arabia as Khashoggi was feared killed inside the Saudi consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, Trump reiterated that he does not want to walk away from the Saudis.

Turkish forensic police officers work inside the residence of the Saudi consul for investigation in Istanbul, Turkey, 17 October 2018. It was the second-such extraordinary search of land considered under global law to be Saudi sovereign soil after Turkish police searched the consulate through the early morning on Tuesday.

Several US media outlets said Monday that the Saudis are preparing a report that Khashoggi's death resulted from a botched interrogation.

"Sooner's betters than later for everyone", Pompeo said. Pro-government Turkish daily Yeni Safak reported it had audio recordings of the reporter being tortured, first having his fingers cut off and being decapitated.

"We will probably know that by the end of the week", Trump said.

"If you want to live when you come back to Arabia, shut up", one of the agents replied, according to both the official and the newspaper.

More news: Mayweather responds to Khabib fight call
More news: Pippa Middleton has given birth to her first child
More news: First glimpse of the royal baby bump

Saudi officials have not responded to repeated requests for comment from the AP in recent days.

TRT World correspondent Caitlin McGee has details from outside the Saudi consul general's home in Istanbul.

President Donald Trump, who initially came out hard on the Saudis over the disappearance but since has backed off, said today that the United States wanted Turkey to turn over any audio or video recording it had of Khashoggi's alleged killing "if it exists".

"We don't know if it exists yet". When asked if he had learned any details about Khashoggi's disappearance, Pompeo told reporters that "I don't want to talk about any of the facts; they didn't want to, either, in that they want to have the opportunity to complete this investigation in a thorough way". "I'm not giving cover at all".

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo yesterday arrived in Ankara from Riyadh for talks with the Turkish leadership, saying Saudi Arabia had promised a full investigation into the case.

The three posed for photos before their meetings, but said nothing in front of journalists.

The reluctance of the Turks to turn over hard evidence they have said they have documenting Khashoggi's fate has led USA and European security officials to assess that the most brutal accounts of Khashoggi's demise are likely accurate, the sources said.

Earlier on Tuesday, U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said the "inviolability or immunity" of people or premises granted under the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations "should be waived immediately". No one is going to defend activity of that nature. Before leaving Riyadh, Pompeo told reporters that the Saudi leaders "made no exceptions on who they would hold accountable".

The New York Times has gathered more information about the suspects using facial recognition software, publicly available records, social media profiles, a database of Saudi cellphone numbers, Saudi news reports, leaked Saudi government documents and in some cases the accounts of witnesses in Saudi Arabia and countries the crown prince has visited.

Turkish officials say Saudi agents killed and dismembered the Washington Post columnist, who had written opinion pieces critical of the crown prince.

Comments