They include 15 members of an alleged Saudi "hit squad" that Turkey says was sent to Istanbul to kill The Washington Post columnist who had written critically of Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Speaking at a journalism awards ceremony Thursday, Fred Ryan, Publisher and CEO of the Washington Post which Khashoggi wrote for, urged the Trump administration to take a tougher line.
The Turkish president said he did not believe that Saudi King Salman had ordered the killing.
Prince Mohammad bin Salman, who has positioned himself as a Saudi reformer, has denounced the murder as "repulsive" and strongly denied any involvement. Add Jamal Khashoggi as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Jamal Khashoggi news, video, and analysis from ABC News. In their first version, they claimed Khashoggi was killed in a fight that was randomly triggered during a peaceful meeting, but their new story points to Turkish intel that shows the incident was planned by Saudi officials.
"Everybody is milking this", said Maha Yahya, director of the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut. That's according to the official statement from Istanbul's chief prosecutor. The Saudi government publicly has called his death a "terrible tragedy".
It's a month to the day since Jamal Khashoggi walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul - and was never seen again.
But he has repeatedly stressed that his priority is preserving the decades-old US-Saudi alliance and protecting major arms sales to the kingdom. Here, a protester holds a placard showing solidarity for Khashoggi during a demonstration outside the Saudi Arabian Embassy in London last week.More news: Trump plans order to end birthright citizenship for migrant babies
More news: Actor Alec Baldwin arrested in NY
More news: China trade war escalates
"We therefore respectfully call on you to immediately authorise an independent, global investigation into the murder of Jamal Khashoggi that would lay the groundwork for identifying and holding accountable the perpetrators of this grievous crime".
WASHINGTON, Nov 1 - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday it would be a "handful more weeks" before the United States had enough evidence to impose sanctions in response to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. "To claim otherwise would be ridiculous".
"It is now up to the worldwide community to bring the perpetrators to justice".
"We know that the order to kill Khashoggi came from the highest levels of the Saudi government", Erdogan said.
Turkish investigators believe the journalist, who was living in exile, was strangled when he visited to collect documents for his forthcoming marriage to a Turkish citizen.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on October 21 that a "tremendous mistake" had been made and those responsible would be punished - 18 suspects have been arrested in Riyadh.