Trump insults reporters, claims Acosta video wasn’t altered

Adjust Comment Print

Appearing on CNN's "Reliable Sources" this Sunday, ABC's former White House correspondent Sam Donaldson made the claim that Jim Acosta and CNN had already filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over the White House's decision to revoke the reporter's press pass.

The White House claimed Acosta was suspended for putting "his hands on" the intern, while CNN said it was "retaliation for his challenging questions".

Reporters, networks, and the White House Correspondents' Association came to CNN and Acosta's defence following the revocation of his credentials, saying that Acosta only attempted to keep his microphone to ask a second question when the intern repeatedly made a grab for the mic.

There was no immediate comment from the administration.

The White House, never shy about picking a fight with CNN, says bring it on.

"No one manipulated it. Give me a break, see that's just dishonest reporting", Trump said of the clip.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that not only does Whitaker not plan to recuse himself from overseeing the Mueller probe, but he would block Mueller from subpoenaing Trump if the president does not agree to a sit-down interview. CNN CEO Jeff Zucker, in a letter to White House chief of staff John Kelly, called Trump's attitude toward CNN a "pattern of targeted harassment". You have to treat the White House with respect. The newspaper said that if Sanders was so offended by physical contact, "what did she have to say when her boss praised as "my kind of guy" Rep. Greg Gianforte of Montana, who was sentenced to anger management classes and community service for body-slamming a Guardian reporter last spring?"

More news: ATP Finals 2018 prize money: Federer, Djokovic lead field
More news: Leading rugby referee says TMO call against England was incorrect
More news: Barcelona stunned by Betis despite Messi brace in seven-goal thriller

Acosta, whose confrontations often focus on immigration, prolonged their exchange by asking a series of questions about the caravan and President Trump's approach to immigrants.

In Canada, where reporters don't get routine access to the Prime Minister's Office, media credentials to access Parliament Hill - more akin to the U.S. Congress than the White House - are managed by the parliamentary press gallery, not the PMO. On Friday the Boston Globe's editorial board called for a White House press walkout. "I will continue to ask the questions that affect America, all of America".

"Mr. Trump is not likely to temper his rhetoric", it concludes. "You have to treat the presidency with respect", Trump said.

It's unclear exactly where Sanders first saw the video or where she got it from. Ryan wasn't among Trump's questioners Friday.

The president suggested more credentials could be revoked in the coming days.

In the meantime, Acosta has continued to report without physical access to the White House grounds; he is now in Paris to cover Trump's trip to France.

She alleged that Acosta "physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern", softening the earlier misconduct accusation and then casting blame on the journalist for his persistent questioning. But in effect, the White House is trying to veto Acosta.

Comments