Escape room fire kills five teenagers in Poland

Adjust Comment Print

Police and fire officials are still trying to figure out how the room caught fire, killing the 15-year-old girls and causing one other person to be hospitalized with severe burns, according to CNN Polish affiliate TVN24.

Authorities carried out inspections of at least 178 escape room locations across Poland at the weekend and found 129 did not meet health and safety standards, said the head of state fire services Leszek Suski.

More than 200 of Poland's 1,100 escape rooms have been checked since Friday (local time), revealing a number of safety flaws requiring immediate attention.

Popular with teenagers in Poland and other countries, Escape Rooms see players locked inside a room or building, finding clues to help them get out.

Gasiorowski said the fire probably broke out in the reception room and blocked the employee's way to evacuate the girls.

In a follow-up tweet he demanded that the cause of the fire "must be fully explained". The operator of "Escape Rooms" to obtain in Poland so far, no special permits from the fire Department.

More news: NASA New Horizons image shows weird Ultima Thule looks like a snowman
More news: English Premier League: Manchester City 3-1 Southampton
More news: Dropping iPhone Demand in China Shows Growing Buyer Concerns

Officials confirmed yesterday, Carbon monoxide asphyxiation is the probable cause of the deaths.

"Five joyful girls starting out in life have had life torn away from them", he wrote on Twitter.

They said the 28-year-old denies the charges but because of his distress was not able to answer prosecutors' questions.

Koszalin Mayor Piotr Jedlinski announced that Sunday would a day or mourning in the city.

There are around 150 Escape rooms across the United Kingdom with more than 50 in London alone and the craze for escape room adventures has increased year on year since 2013.

"The deepest sympathy for the families of all the victims of the great tragedy in Koszalin, where five young girls lost their lives".